Sunday 29 March 2009

Potato and Leek soup makes me happy :)


There's something really comforting about soup. Since I was a child I've always mashed up my meals with my fork and mixed everything together to make 'soup' at dinnertime. I was an odd child..

Potato and Leek soup is one of my favorite meals for cold days, but the tinned pre-made versions often taste a little 'ashy', and it's so easy to make yourself. I find soup-making incredibly satisfying; using up all those leftover ingrediesnts and feeling like a domestic goddess without actually having to do much work..

If you fancy trying your hand at the easiest form of cooking, give my easy-peasy recipe a go. It's the first time I've got the potato vs leek ratio perfect so I'm all proud of myself :)

Recipe:
2 x large potatoes
3 or 4 large leeks
1 x large onion
a little vegetable oil
black pepper
mixed herbs
  1. Chop all the veg. Potatoes into chunks about 2cm x 2cm, leeks sliced thickly, and the onion chopped roughly.
  2. Put a little oil in the bottom of a large saucepan (yes, saucepan) and start frying the onion on a high heat.
  3. When the onion is turning transparent add the potato and leek while you put the kettle on, then pour the boiling water into the saucepan as the onion is just starting to go brown.
  4. Add a pinch of black pepper and mixed herbs to taste, then pop the lid on and let it boil for about 10-15 minutes, just until the potato softens.
  5. Stick your fork in and mash some of the potato chunks up, to make the soup extra thick and rich. Add a little cornflour if it's looking a bit thin.
  6. Voila! A delicious winter soup. serve with warm crusty bread and butter, and a pinch of black pepper on top.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment